America’s Great Loop AGLCA

Front Page Forums PaNNTOA Forum Trip Reports America’s Great Loop AGLCA

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Dan StroeingDan Stroeing
    Participant

America’ Great Loop. Most people are unaware that the entire midwest and Eastern part of the United States is an island of sorts.  600 miles of America’s rivers and waterways are navigable by boats.  Yes everyone of the PaNNTOA member’s Nordic Tugs are capable of navigating the Great Loop.  It does take a commitment of time and money.   First challenge is to ship your tug from Anacortes to St. Paul or Stillwater Minnesota on the Mississippi River.  We shipped our Nordic Tug with a company out of North Carolina called Flagship Boat Transport Pros.  Google that name and the company website should appear.  The website has a free transport quote option.  Fill in your Boat details length, beam, weight and they will get back to you.   We planned ahead and waited until they had a transport to the West Coast.  They did not want to return east empty so we waited.  Our fee from Anacortes from the lot and North Harbor Diesel to Red Wing Minnesota on the Mississippi River about 40 miles south of St. Paul.  We drove from Bainbridge Island to Minnesota following the boat for a time.  The driver drove late into the night so we really had to go fast to catch the Gammel Dansk when it arrived in Red Wing Minnesota.  We have a condo in Red Wing so we met the Gammel Dansk at Ole Miss Marina on the Mississippi River.  Our haul agreement was to haul to Stillwater Minnesota to a large Marina with a TravelLift.  The Flagship driver agreed to back his trailer into the fresh water ramp at Red Wing for a fee of $150.  We were happy with this and paid the driver.  No worries about the TravelLift not operating on weekends or the fee to splash us in Stillwater, which is 25 miles up river.  We were very happy with the communication of this company keeping us posted on where the Gammel Dansk was while enroute.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Robbin YoungRobbin Young. Reason: typo correction
    Robbin YoungRobbin Young
    Participant

Thanks for the info about transporting your tug! Can you share a ballpark estimate of what you paid to transport your boat? Those of us in Anacortes can get a good idea of what we should budget for if we take the loop.

Also, I’ve heard that you have a blog where you share your experiences. Would you give us a link to follow?

Thanks,

Robbin

Robbin YoungRobbin Young
    Participant

Dan answered my questions via email, as follows:

Our fee for the haul from Anacortes to Mississippi River was $3900. We felt that was reasonable. Of course it would be more for a 32 or 37 ft Nordic. Our blog is at http://www.danmarygammeldansk.blogspot.com.

~ Robbin

Dan StroeingDan Stroeing
    Participant

GAMMEL DANSK GREAT LOOP TRAVEL BLOG>

START IN AUGUST 2018 AND FOLLOW US DOWN THE MISSISSIPPI, UP THE OHIO RIVERS INTO THE TENNESEE TOMBIGBEE WATERWAY TO MOBILE, ALABAMA ACROSS THE GULF. OF MEXICO, DOWN THE FLORIDA GULF COAST, ACROSS LAKE OKACHOBEE TO THE ATLANTIC COAST, MARINA HOPPING ALL THE WAY TO NEW YORK CITY AND UP THE HUDSON RIVER TO THE Erie Canal to BUFFALO NEW YORK ON TO Lake Erie UP THE ST. CCLAIR RIVER, TO DETROIT THEN ONTO Lake Huron TO CHEBOYGAN MICHIGAN INTO WINTER STORAGE.  HEY  WHEN IS THE LAST TIME YOU TOOK YOUR NORDIC TUG OUT INTO 10-12 FOOT SEAS.  WE REFUSED TO DO IT AND ARE ON THE COLD HARD OR RED WING MINNESOTA.  STAY TUNED FOR AN ICE FISHNG ADVENTURE TO THE NORTHERN MOST PART OF THE CONTIGIOUS United States.  YES IT IS NOT IN WASHINGTON, BUT MINNESOTA AND THE ICE WAS 32 INCHES THICK.    Dan, Mary and Tori, the Seeing Eye Dog and best member of the Working Crew of the Gammel Dansk.

http://danmarygammeldansk.blogspot.com/2018_08_31_archive.html

Gary WhiteGary White
    Participant

Dan, navigating the waters of Puget Sound can be difficult but I can only imagine how much more difficult the navigation requirements are for making this trip on the great circle. How did you deal with that? I imagine there are lots of shallow and narrow passages that you had to manage.
    I know your boat is on the hard for winter so when will you put her back in the water and finish the trip?

Dan StroeingDan Stroeing
    Participant

AS YOU MAY KNOW I AM BLIND AND I DO DRIVE THE BOAT.  I HAVE LOST 65%% OF MY VISION.  NO FORWARD VISION WITH 5% OF MY BISION ON MY VERY RIGHT PERIPHERAL.   WE WEAR THE EARTEC WIRELESS HEADSETS TO COMMUNICATE.  WE USE THE CLOCK SYSTEM.  THE BOW IS 12 OCLOCK.  NO RIGHT OR LEFT, IT IS PORT AND STARBOAR DIRECTIONS.  WE SURVIVED BEING IN TIGHT QUARTERS ON THE NORDIC 26.  I WOULD GET UP EVERY MORNING AND ANNOUNCE WE NEED A BIGGER BOAT.  MARY WAS UNMOVED.  WE TRAVELED SECTION WIH OTHER BOATS.  A 43 VIKING AND A 54 TIARA.  WE ARE SLOW.  WE HEARD COMMENTS LIKE THAT BOAT IS GREEN FOR A REASON.  TURTLES ARE THE SSAME COLOR.  ONE THING TO TAKE INTO ACCOUNT IS MOORAGE PRICES FOR EACH NIGHT. WE WERE HAPPY WITH $1 OR $2 PER FOOT PER NIGHT.   WE SPENT ON AVERAGE $800T0 $1000 PER MONTH ON MOORAGE FEES.  MOORAGE FEES IN SOUTHERN FLORIDA  DURING THE WINTER MONTHS ARE AT A PREMIUM. THE MOST WE PAID IN MOORAGE WAS IN NORTHERN NEW JERSEY AND NEW YORK CITY.  WE WERE LUCKY TO STAY AT THE GREAT KILLS YACHT CLUB FOR $2 PER FOOT.  PLUS WE WERE INVITED TO THE  YACHT CLUB’S ANNUAL BANQUET.  EVER HAVE DINNER WITH 175 RACCOUS AND WILDLY GESTICULATING ITALIANS.   VINNY, CARMELINO, SONNY AND PAULO,  IT WAS LIKE BEING IN AN ITALIAN MOVIE WITH LOTS OF KISSING ON EACH CHEEK.  I WAS AFRAID SOMEONE WOULD OFFER ME A RIDE IN THE FRONT SEAT AS THEY SAT BEHIND ME.  NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN.  WE LIKE TO THINK WE HAVE 175 ITALIAN FRIENDS ON STATEN ISLAND.   OTHER MOORAGE FEES IN NEW YORK CITY RANGED FROM $5 TO $15 PER FOOT.  ONCE WE GOT UP THE HUDSON RIVER AND ON TO THE ERIE CANAL MOST OF THE MOORAGE WAS FREE ON A FIRST COME FIRST SERVED BASIS.  WE NEVER HAD TROUBLE FINDING A SPOT ON TE WALL.  NEVER RAFTED UP TO OTHER BOATS.  GOOGLE STILL WATERS II, WE TRAVELED  WITH DAVID AND CLAUDIA FULLER OF THE STILL WATERS II.  THEY HAVE BEEN OUT CRUISING FOR FOUR YEARS AND NO LONGER OWN A DIRT HOME, JUST THE STILL WATERS II.  WE CELEBRATED THANKSGIVING OF 2018 WITH TURKEY HAM AND ALL THE FIXINGS WITH SEVEN OF US ON THE AFT DECK OF THE STILL WATERS III.  YOU CAN BECOME A VIRUAL CREWMEMBER ON THE STILL WATERS II AND D CAPTAIN DAVE WILL SEND UPDATES ON THEIR LOOP ADVENTURES.  THE STILL WATERS II DID WHAT IS CALLED THE DOWNEAST LOOP.  UP INTO LAKE CHAMPLAIN AND INTO CANADA UP TO Nova Scotia AND BACK TO New YORK.  THAT TRIP TAKES ABOUT 3 MONTHS OF TRAVELING.  IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING DOING THE LOOP JOIN THE AGLCA OR AMERICAS GREAT LOOP CRUISING ASSOCIATION.  THE AGLCA HAS A SPING AND A FALL RENDEZVOUS WHERE SPEAKERS PRESENT TRIP PLANNING FROM NORFOLK TO CHICAGO AND A FALL RENDEZVOUS IN ALABAMA WITH TRIP PLANNING SESSIONS ON NAVIGATING THE GULF OF MEXICO TO THE FLORIDA KEY UP TO THE CAROLINAS.  THESE PRESENTERS ARE EXPERIENCED LOOPERS AND PROVIDE INVALUABLE INFORMATION.  ALSO SKIPPER BOB HAS BOOKS AND PUBLICATIONS ON MARINA AND AREAS TO SEE AND WHAT TO AVOID.  I WOULD NOT DO THE LOOP WITHOUT JOINING THE ASSOCIATION.  FIRST TIME LOOPERS FLY A WHITE AGLCA BURGEE, 2X ITS A GOLD BURGE AND 3RD TIME AROUND A PLATINUM BURGEE.  OTHER LOOPERS WITH VISIT YOUR BOAT AT THE MARINA JUST TO CHAT OR HAVE DOCKTAILS IN THE EVENING. WHEN UNDERWAY LOOPES SEE YOUR AGLCA BURGEE AND HAIL YOU ON THE RADIO TO CHECK IN ON YOUR TRIP AND OFFER INFORMATION IF YOU NEED IT.  WE STOPPED IN TITUSVILLE FLORIDA MARINA.  WITHIN 5 MINUTES WE HAD 7 DIFFERENT LOOPERS VISIT OUR BOAT.   WE WERE INVITED TO AN EVENING BBQ.   A GROUP OF LOOPERS LIKED THE AREA AND HAD BEEN AT THE MARINA FOR 2 MONTHS.  NO RUSH TO GET TO THE EFROZEN NORTH.  IN MAY LOOPERS START NORTH JUST LIKE THE BIRDS HEADED NORTH.   WE FEEL THIS LOOP ADVENTURE HAS REWARDED US WITH MULTIPLE “FRIENDS FOR LIFE”.  THE PEOPLE OF New York WERE VERY HELPFUL AND FRIENDLY BREAKING EVERY STEREOTYPE WE HAD OF New YORKERS.   MARY WANTS TO GET INTO OUR DIRT HOUSE ROUTINEE.   DOING THE PaNNTOA PAINTINGS ON OUR LITTLE 26 FOOT TUG WAS NOT EASY.  SHE DID A GREAT JOB ON SUNDAY AND WATERFORD.  WITH A LITTLE PLANNING ANY ONE OF THE PaNNTOA MEMBERS CAN DO THIS.  WE HAD LOCAL KNOWLEDGE OF THE UPPER MISSISSIPPI RIVER IN MINNEAPOLIS AND SOUTHERN MINNESOTA BUT JUST WENT WITH THE FLOW HEADING DOWNRIVER TO THE GULF OF MEXICO COMING OUT AT MOBILE AFTER NAVIGATING THE TENNESSEE TOMBIGBEE WATERWAY TO MOBILE ALABAMA.   CHECK OUT OUR TRAVEL BLOG BY CLICKING THE LINK ABOVE.   HOPE TO SEE YOU IN THE PNW SOMETIME IN THE FUTURE.

DAN, MARY AND TORI THE SEEING EYE DOG ON THE COLD HARD AT RED. WING MINNESOTA.

ANY QUESTIONS YOU CAN EMAIL ME AT:   stroeing@rocketmail.com

4palmer4palmer
    Participant

Do you have a website with pics?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.