Caulking wheel house

Front Page Forums PaNNTOA Forum Maintenance Caulking wheel house

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Am needing to re- calk my wheel  house on the 37 nordic.
    anyone know what type of caulk I should use?

jim Orr

Participant

Anyone who is considering recaulking , there is an excellent article on Nantoa.

jim

Eric SteffensenEric Steffensen
    Participant

I am not sure if you are referring to the pilot house windows. We have a 2002 NT32 and our 3 front windows leaked.  We ended up pulling the windows out and re-bedding with butyl tape. Each window was a 3 hour job but it seems to be good. We noticed the windows were set too low in the openings so there was generous overlap of the window frame at the bottoms but not much at the top.

Tom EasterbrookTom Easterbrook
    Participant

My NT 37 has a Brooks mast. My pilothouse to salon deck joint looked like it should be redone. Due to the mast, which had to come down, I decided to fibreglass this joint and be done with it. The mast turned out not to be that bad to deal with (2 people), and the finished job (which I hired out) looks good and I should never have to deal with it again. By the way, the 2 pilothouse rear windows had to come out as well, which for us, turned out to be fairly easy as well (about 1 hour per window total).

If you are going to recaulk, then use Sikaflex 295 UV as it stands up to the sun better than most other caulk. This was recommended by both Nordic and Sikaflex.

Participant

My pilothouse is due for a re-seal as well.  It does not look real good.  I found the article you referenced

Recaulk Pilothouse/Saloon Deck Joint

I thought it was interesting he used Sikaflex 291 and then topped it with GE Door and Window Silicone.  That sounded like a recommendation from Nordic…

Tom, Nordic recommended Sikaflex 295 UV, and never recommended topping it with anything?  Topping the sikaflex seems strange and unnecessary.

Tom EasterbrookTom Easterbrook
    Participant

The use of silicone to top, was prior to the UV product being available. Sikaflex recommends the use of their UV product in this application.

Participant

We removed, cleaned, caulked and reinstalled the center pilot house window assy. today.  Ended up shimming the window frame about 1/8 of an inch upward.  Hope it stays sealed up.

Cheers

Dave, Dot & Bailey Jean Puppy

up shimming the windiw  Blue masking tape is original window frame position

Participant

Just pulled, cleaned and recaulked the center pilot house window assembly.  We had to “shim” the window frame up about 1/8 of an inch.  It was pretty obvious the top right corner of the window was no longer sealed.  I used 3M 4000UV.  A couple of images are attached.

Cheers  Dave, Dot & Bailey Jean PuppyTape indicates original position Blue tape is original window position

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.