dinghy lift conversion

Front Page Forums PaNNTOA Forum dinghy lift conversion

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    blscottblscott
    Participant

I would like to change out my block and tackle dinghy lift with a boom lift on my 2004 37 Nordic Tug (has fly bridge). I am looking for recommendations on what works and what to avoid.

Gary WhiteGary White
    Participant

We also have an ‘04 37.  When we bought it, it had a Seawise  transom mount.  Because we tow a fishing boat we couldn’t keep the dinghy there so we purchased a steelhead 800 crane and mounted the dinghy up top. When we had the dinghy chocks installed I had them put removable bases on them and made them a little higher so I could see out behind me through the pilot house windows. When we want to have a happy hour on the upper deck we just pull the dinghy off. The chocks are then removed and put aside until we’re ready to put the dinghy back up.
    we were initially concerned about the weight higher on the boat but it has not seemed to be a significant impact.

I had Cap Sante Marina install it.

Gary

blscottblscott
    Participant

Thanks Gary for the reply. This is pretty much what I am looking for. How was the installation at Cap Sante? Did they need to mount a support post to the lower deck? I would love to see any pictures of the installation.

I love the idea of removable chocks. Our current chocks are not removable and present a trip danger.

We also don’t see any instability problem with the dinghy on top.

Byron

Gary WhiteGary White
    Participant

Byron,

yes, it does require a support post into the cockpit. There are two ways to approach this. One is to mount it up close to the bulkhead behind the propane locker and the other is to mount it further aft. The difference is that by mounting it forward near the bulkhead the arm will not have enough reach to get the dinghy off the stern of the boat if you’re at a dock. The aft mount may allow that but does occlude  part of your cockpit for seating. It’s just a matter of preference which way you might want to go. We went with the forward mount and except  the fact that if we want to take the dinghy off at the dock we have to have a port tie.
    cap Sante Marina did a good job with the installation. Very neat and thoughtful.  The boat units involved in purchase and installation are not for the faint of heart though.
    send me an email and I will try to get some photos and return them to you next time I’m up on the boat.

Gary

blscottblscott
    Participant

Thanks Gary.  I talked with Dan at Cap Santi and he is currently working up a quote for the WD800.  I am looking at the forward mount with the support post near the propane locker. He is hoping the 90 degree mount is still available so the installation will not impact the propane locker cover.

Are you by chance located in Shelter Bay?

Byron

Doug FordDoug Ford
    Participant

We do not have a flybridge on our 2008 37 so we wanted the deck space for entertaining and just being lazy. Our boat came with a deck crane and dinghy chocks up top but we didn’t like raising and lowering the dinghy in rough water. Our solution was to have an electric Olsson davit installed on the swim step. That keeps our space up top open and makes launching and retrieval easier. Clearly, the disadvantages are the additional LOA and blocking one side of the swim step. The winch is surprisedly loud. http://www.boatdavit.com

blscottblscott
    Participant

Thanks for the information Doug.  We considered the swim platform mount but that does not appeal to us as much as up top. I am still waiting for the quote from Cap Santi and hope the sticker shock is not too high.

Cheers,
    Byron

Tom EasterbrookTom Easterbrook
    Participant

When we bought Pilitak, the surveyor found wet core in the salon roof due to leaking caulking from a prior (no longer used) dinghy rack. Remember to recaulk everything every few years, or you too may face a fairly large bill or project if you can dyi.

blscottblscott
    Participant

Thanks Tom. We have had some leakage in the core and cracks have formed aft of the ladder caused by freezing. We are taking care of that. I hear that one of the major leak sources is the drain on the aft port side that runs through a CRES tube to the lower deck drain. There is inadequate sealing between the fiberglass and CRES tube where the two engage. The recommendation is to remove the tube and apply 3200 marine sealant.

Byron

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.