Fireboy sizing

Front Page Forums PaNNTOA Forum Maintenance Fireboy sizing

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So I looked another NT37 and it had a Fireboy 500 cu ft tank.  I am going to install one on mine and I measured my engine room and it came out to approx 341 cu ft, not compensating for engine volume, stairwell, etc, just rough dimensions.  I would think the 400 cu ft model would be more than adequate, the 500 might provide better protection, but might be more than needed (and cost).  Anybody else know the size of their system?

Thanks,

Gary WhiteGary White
    Participant

Hi there Randy!

I also have a 37 with the fire boy built-in system. When I get a chance to look at it I will let you know what size it is but I’m pretty sure it’s a 500 ft.³.

You probably could get away with the 400 ft.³ but here are a couple things to think about first. Remember that your engine vents are open so some of that agent is going to be lost to venting and airflow.  In addition having that extra agent buys you additional discharge time which will enhance the suppression capabilities of the agent. Having just enough when you have an on board fire is not as comforting as having a little extra. When you’re in The middle of a fire event there’s no way to add a little more if you haven’t prepared for it ahead of time
    This train of thought of course is coming from a 40 year professional in the fire service. You may want to talk to the factory and see how they determined the sizing of the extinguisher as well. ABYC standards may have dictated that along with Coast Guard standards.

I would go for the 500 ft.³ extinguisher and pay a little more now rather than wish I had later when I needed it.

Gary White

Gary WhiteGary White
    Participant

Randy, I checked my fire boy on-board extinguisher today and it is a 500 ft.³. Let me know what you decide.

Gary

Participant

I have decided to go with the 500 cu ft model.  I think it is good advice that more is better.  Thanks, Randy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.