Gray water side maintenance?

Front Page Forums PaNNTOA Forum Maintenance Gray water side maintenance?

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Doug Ford
    Participant

08 NT37 here. My shower is draining slowly and I wonder if I should be doing something on the gray water side to keep it flowing. Do you add anything to the gray water tank to dissolve the crud? Do you pour anything down the drain to keep the it flowing? Thanks.

Tom Easterbrook
    Participant

Hi Doug,

Here is what I found, and did on our NT37 02 model. Looking under the shower, I found that the drain hose first ran slightly “uphill” before finally moving downward towards the tank. So, I installed a couple of small wood blocks to “improve” the slope. Gravity after all 🙂

Every “off season”, I cleaned out the shower sump. It is a good idea for several reasons. First, smells are quite possible. Often grey water tanks on RV’s really smell, but yes, they do get the kitchen drain water while our shower sumps don’t. Also, don’t use bar soap. It will gel up and help to clog things up, and add to the potential smell. Second, this cleaning could save potential pump, float switch, or hose (to through hull) issues.

To help with the drain line running from the shower to the sump (after adjusting the slope if needed), I would use hot water and a small (clean and used only for this purpose) toilet plunger to ensure that any beginning blockages are “pushed” along. I used Tide HE laundry soap and hot water soaking in the sump for cleaning, and left the sump clean and dry for our off season.

It can be a “mucky” job, but I think worthwhile.

Hope this helps,

Tom Easterbrook

formerly Pilitak NT 37-068

Doug Ford
    Participant

Thanks Tom. That’s helpful. I doubt that it’s ever been done so I’ll wait till I have a terrible head cold to do this so I can’t smell so much!

4palmer
    Participant

Does anyone know where the discharge pump is located on a 2003 NT 32.  It seems to be under the shower bench but can’t find out how to get to it.

Doug Ford
    Participant

Are you looking for the black water pump to dump septic overboard in Canada? I believe it is in the laz.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.