Pilot house doors scream at me!

Front Page Forums PaNNTOA Forum Maintenance Pilot house doors scream at me!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    phelpsak
    Participant

Both pilot house doors of my 2000 37-17 squeak loudly when I slide them open.  There is a rubber flap on the back side of the door to keep the drafts out I guess.  It is this rubber flap that squeaks as you open the door.  It is a loud ear-piercing screech.  Do other boats have this rubber flap behind the pilot house doors?  If so, have you done anything to silence it?

Tom Easterbrook
    Participant

My pilothouse doors did not have a “rubber flap”, so I am not sure what you have. I don’t remember ever seeing a Nordic with a rubber flap on the back side of their PH doors?? My doors occasionally would become hard to move, I would just lube them up with the spray McLube, a product most often used by sailors to lube their sail tracks. Once, lubed up, be careful as the door will then move very easily and quietly.

phelpsak
    Participant

Thank you Tom!  That was helpful.  Mine does not appear to be an aftermarket flap but there is a grove at the back of the door that this rubber flap sits in.  That rubber flap was killing me though and other boats not having it convinced me it was not that important.  I tried to pull it out of the groove, but it did not come out at the angle I could get to it.  I ended up running a knife down the flap, making it short enough it doesn’t touch the fiberglass.  I now have the beautiful sound of silence when I open the PH doors.  AH…..

Mike Young
    Participant

Shawn, another product that has worked well to keep our pilot house doors sliding smoothly & quietly is white lithium grease (spray can), sprayed on the raised rail in the bottom door track (that the door rides on).  Haven’t compared it head-to-head with McLube, so I’m not suggesting it’s superior – but an effective alternative.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by Mike Young.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.