Seawise davit on NT 37???

Front Page Forums PaNNTOA Forum Seawise davit on NT 37???

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Gary White Gary White 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Doug Ford
    Doug Ford
    Participant

I’m considering adding a Seawise manual davit to the swim step of my 2008 37. Although we have a crane on the roof, we like the easy access the Seawise option gives. Have you used a Seawise on a 37? Did the crank tower interfere with passage through the transom door? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-Doug

Tom Easterbrook
    Tom Easterbrook
    Participant

Hi Doug,

I hope you are enjoying your new Tug!!

We have a 2002 NT 37 with a Seawise davit. Our transom door is off centred to the port side. Our crank tower is located on the port side of the swim step. For us, this works very well for access as we try to dock starboard side to unless that is just not available. We can very easily move in and out of the cockpit through the transom door and with the dinghy up, it is no problem to walk past to the dock on the starboard side. As I am sure you are aware, we can launch and/or retrieve our dinghy in about 3 minutes (very quick and easy). Last summer, we buddy boated with our friends from Seattle who have a KK52 with their dinghy mounted “up top” on the top deck. Most nights we were rafted to them (we did the BC north coast up to Prince Rupert). All summer we shared our dinghy due to the ease of launch and retrieval.

They are expensive, but well built, and in my opinion, work very well.

Hope this info helps,

Tom Easterbrook

Pilitak

Doug Ford
    Doug Ford
    Participant

Thanks Tom. I agree that the swim step mount is easier to use. We just ordered an Olsson davit and look forward to having it installed soon. See you at the vous!

-Doug

Gary White
    Gary White
    Participant

We had a seawise davit but removed it so we could tow a fishing boat.  We did find it cumbersome to get off the port side with the winch apparatus there.  Something to consider is the added length that is added as it may affect your moorage ($).  We also couldn’t fit into our 40 ft slip with the dinghy hanging on it.

Tom Easterbrook
    Tom Easterbrook
    Participant

Hi Gary,

If I remember correctly, the Olsson davit (that Doug has chosen) extends the boat length even a bit more than the Seawise. I think davit selection is, like most boat related choices, just that, a choice or personal preference, often determined by how you like to use your boat and dinghy. For me, when we purchased our tug, we were already setup to use the mast and the rack on the top deck to store the dinghy there or use the Seawise. We did not like the top deck idea. First, our boat had a wet roof core issue caused by leakage from the roof dinghy rack (found by the surveyor and now totally repaired) and we didn’t want to risk a second episode of that (fairly costly repair). Second, it would be much harder to launch and retrieve from that location, and third, I didn’t like the idea of the extra weight that high up from a potential higher roll of the Tug in larger waves. We also like the very quick and easy launch and retrieval of the Seawise. Is it perfect, no, but most things are somewhat of a compromise and we choose to live with the compromised access off the port side swim step when docking that side (which for us has proven rare so far).

I am not trying to “change your view” or say “my setup is better than yours”, because it sounds like we use our boats slightly differently, but just explaining our rationale which might aid someone else in this kind of decision.

All the best,

Tom

Gary White
    Gary White
    Participant

I agree with your rational and we had the same concerns with weight up top.  Towing the Grady trumped that issue so we didn’t have a good alternative.  Having the dink up top does limit our use when we are STB tied to the dock.  It is also much more available for use in emergencies when on the stern.

Happy boating!  The season is upon us!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.