Serpentine Belt 6bta 5.9 jumping track

Front Page Forums PaNNTOA Forum Maintenance Serpentine Belt 6bta 5.9 jumping track

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    4palmer
    Participant

Have replaced all pulleys and alternators belt tighteners in the entire circuit.  The belt keeps jumping track and filing away the edges with black pieces on the bilge area around the Belt.  Anyone had experience with this?

Tom Easterbrook
    Participant

While taking a “shot in the dark” here that MAYBE someone has experienced the same issue (and cause) as you are experiencing COULD provide you an answer (but without greater detail and lots of photos I am skeptical of that), I still STRONGLY suggest that you go to the Cummins (diesels in general) experts at sbmar.com (Seaboard Marine = Tony Athens) with this problem. You can join their Cummins forum for free (with no expectations of any need to purchase from them) and with a small effort on your part, receive expert FREE advise specific to your problem. Another option is to phone them, following up with email after the discussion with attached photos.

To get the best possible answer to your SPECIFIC problem, go to their forum and give a detailed explanation of the issue you are facing including all relevant info like history of upgrades/repairs, exact engine (best to include serial number), good description of the nature of the problem, etc. accompanied with good clear photos showing all angles of the area in question, also showing the “damage”. Close ups of various parts may or may not be needed.

If you make the effort to do that, I am reasonably sure you will receive good information not only from other Cummins owners, but from Tony and/or his staff (like Rob, Corey, or Justin).

Personally I have learned a lot about these engines by following these forums, asking the occasional question, and reading many of Tony’s tips (a different section with a wealth of free knowledge). This is the best advice I can give you, based on what you have asked.

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with Seaboard Marine or Tony Athens, other than as someone who has benefited from his site and his knowledge and has made a few online purchases, mostly as a way to say thanks and “give support” to a great resource.

Whatever you decide, good luck, and I hope you get this “resolved”.

Tom Easterbrook

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.