Solar panel cable routing

Front Page Forums PaNNTOA Forum Maintenance Solar panel cable routing

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Angelo MuzzinAngelo Muzzin
    Participant

Greetings Fellow Tug Owners,

Having some extra time on my hands has allowed me to launch into my latest boat project.  Installing two fixed solar panels on the pilothouse.  Have done a lot of research on panels, controllers, and the rest of the equipment, but there is one aspect that’s perplexing.  What is the best route to get the solar panel cable to the controller panel that will be installed in the engine room? On my boat (NT 32-300) the starting point will likely be where the radar cable enters the top of the pilothouse.

If you have installed (or had someone else install) solar panels, it would be helpful if you could share what route you used.

Much thanks for you feedback.

Cheers,

Angelo

btw, posted this question on the Sentoa.org list server as well. Sorry if you have already seen it.

AbbottcoAbbottco
    Participant

Hi.

We just completed a similar project. Not wanting to put a hole on the horizontal surface of the pilot house, we routed 10 guage wire aft to under the false stack then a vertical hole beside the radar cable into the aft pilot house. This involves sliding the stack aft and removing the head liner covering and then routing the cable(s) around the pilot house to the starboard front post, down to the head, (both access panels removed) then aft to the the area behind the wheel and down to the engine room where we mounted the MPPT controller on the starboard side. Convoluted routing which resulted in needing about 32’ of cable. As we hooked the panels up in series we weren’t too worried about line loss. The other tip for routing the cable over the head is to lift the hinged electronics panel in the pilot house. If I could figure out how to post photos I would. All works well and very happy with the results.

Regards,

Doug

Douglas Abbott

Cormorant (NT 32-250)

Angelo MuzzinAngelo Muzzin
    Participant

Thanks much Doug,  Will check this out.  Sounds like this might be the way for our installation.

Cheers,

Angelo

AbbottcoAbbottco
    Participant

Angelo:

PM if you’d like some photos.

Cheers, Doug

dcabbott999@gmail.com

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.