Solar Panels on a 37 fly bridge

Front Page Forums PaNNTOA Forum Maintenance Solar Panels on a 37 fly bridge

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Jonathan Seymour Jonathan Seymour 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Seymour
    Jonathan Seymour
    Participant

Hi, All

Anyone installed solar panels on a 37 flybridge?  Planning to add solar in 2019, but debating best approach.

best

Jonathan

Norna J

Tom Easterbrook
    Tom Easterbrook
    Participant

Hi Jonathan,

Terry and I installed solar panels (2) on the Pilothouse roof of Pilitak last fall. I know that location will not work for you. If it was me, I would look at the outside rails on the upper deck. I have seen panels installed on rails so that they are moveable (tipable) so they can be placed inside the boat deck when underway if desired, and turned to better orient them to the sun when at anchor (of course as long as the boat cooperates and stays put:))

That is the best idea I can come up with for now.

Regards,

Tom and Terry Easterbrook

Pilitak NT 37-068

Nanaimo

Jonathan Seymour
    Jonathan Seymour
    Participant

Thanks, Guys

Tend to agree that panels swiveling on the top rail is probably the best way to go.

I’m thinking hanging them on the outside of the rails, with a bracket to the lower rail for propping them up to the horizontal, and a line to the top of the radar mast to lift them above the horizontal.  But there may be a better solution.

best

Jonathan, NornaJ

Tom Easterbrook
    Tom Easterbrook
    Participant

Jonathan,

You may not fully “require” any braces. The plastic “rail mounts” that I used are designed to accommodate 2 different sizes of rails and utilizes a thumb screw to tighten. If you mounted 2 per panel down the panel centre line, you may just get away with loosening the screws to adjust the panel position (eg. stored facing out, or flat pointing up for sun exposure) and then retightening! When tightened, they seem pretty secure. Braces may give you a better feeling of security though, so up to you.

I also answered the other thread on solar, so have a look there if you have not yet.

Happy New Year to you and Olga,

Tom and Terry

Jonathan Seymour
    Jonathan Seymour
    Participant

Thank you, Guys

Food for thought (and action…)

best

Jonathan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.