Sonihull Installation

Front Page Forums PaNNTOA Forum Maintenance Sonihull Installation

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Bill RobertsonBill Robertson
    Participant

I recently completed installation of a PYI Sonihull Duo Ultrasonic Antifouling system on Remedy.  This system is advertised as a DIY project which I would say is accurate for most owners.  The installation instructions are pretty straight forward, however, they left out a couple pieces of information that might have saved some time and aggravation.   The system consists of a control box and 2 ultrasonic transducers.  The transducers must be mounted to in the inside of the hull.  The transducers screw into mounting collars that are glued to the deck with epoxy, provided with the unit.  Once the epoxy has cured, the transducer surfaces are coated with about a mm of Vaseline (also provided) and screwed into place.  There is a warning in the instructions not to over-tighten the transducers to avoid breaking the epoxy loose.

Now for the information they didn’t include.  The mounting collars are made of molded plastic and the mounting surface of the collar is fairly smooth.  After the first attempt to install the first transducers failed, because the epoxy broke loose, I contact PYI customer service.  They said we should rough up the mounting collar sealing surface to help the epoxy adhere to the collar.  In hind site I probably should have recognized this on my own and roughed up the surface in the first place.

The second piece of information was not quite as obvious.  When the transducer is screwed down into the collar it creates some hydraulic pressure due to the layer of Vaseline, that is applied.  The hydraulic pressure is what makes the epoxy break loose.  The epoxy sticks fine to the hull but not the collar.  PYI customer service suggested we drill a small hole through the collar beginning at the bottom screw thread that would allow any excess Vaseline to ooze out and thus eliminate the hydraulic pressure.  Sure enough, it worked like a charm.  Even though I tried to minimize the amount of Vaseline applied the excess oozed out of the hole just as described.

I’m not sure why PYI doesn’t include this info in the installation instructions and if it’s really needed, why they don’t predrill the holes in the collars, for the customer.

One last thing:  I bought the until on line and found about $700 difference between the highest and lowest price on the web, for the same exact thing.  Before you order be sure to shop around.

Participant

Great advice.  How has it worked our four you?  Have you had time to notice if it keeps the bottom clean?

Regards,

Greg

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.