Venting?

Front Page Forums PaNNTOA Forum General Chat Venting?

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Last week we had a hot spell and when we got to the boat it was 99 degrees inside. We had left the boat with all the windows and hatches closed so things wouldn’t get wet with rain a few days prior. Also since it was so hot inside the fridge wasn’t staying within a safe temperature range. I am wondering how others vent their boats to keep from building up extremely high temperatures. I know this isn’t an issue very often in the PNW but I would like to know if others have addressed this. What did yo do?

Thinking about the fridge, what should I expect out of a NovaKool fridge for temperature stability?

Thanks Tim

Fred YoungFred Young
    Participant

One way to get air into the boat without letting rain (or bad guys) in would be to open the engine room hatches so the air coming into the engine room can help ventilate the boat. You could also put a fan on top the engine and blow air up into the boat.

Not sure about the fridge. I think there was a refrigeration seminar at the May rendezvous that could have some tips or people to contact.

Participant

Thanks Fred, I will have to give opening the hatches a try.

Tom EasterbrookTom Easterbrook
    Participant

Hi Tim,

What we do on Pilitak is:
    1) Leave both rear windows open as they are covered by the overhang.
    2) Leave both pilothouse (rear) windows open about .5 to 1 inch. Have not noticed any leakage, however could allow water in if wind blown rain hits at the wrong angle.
    3) Leave the shower porthole open and the head door open.
    4) We have installed porthole “eyebrows” on both master stateroom portholes and one in the guest stateroom and can now leave them open with no water ingress.(www.seaworthygoods.com).
    If you are aware of expected high temps while you will leave the boat for a few days, you could also leave a small fan on to help circulate the air.
    As far as what the fridge will or won’t do, I suggest contacting Nova Kool. They have been very responsive when I contacted them several years ago about my previous boat.
    Hope this helps,
    Tom Easterbrook
    Pilitak NT 37-068

Participant

All of the ideas are really good. It seems that the pilot house forms a nice chimney without the exhaust. I will try cracking the windows. I like the thought of having eyebrows on the portholes.

A couple nights after it was so hot it was still warm during the day so we had all the rear facing windows open when a squall came through with a North wind that blew the rain straight in. After a 5 minute scramble to shut everything all was good.

I will check with Nova Kool. Since this is the original I suspect it is getting a little tired and our expectations are probably too high as well.

Mike YoungMike Young
    Participant

Tim, other thoughts on your questions: (1) Ventilation: Serious wind/rain are almost always from the south where we moor our boat (near Seattle), so it’s pretty safe for us to leave windows/portlights open (at least partially) if they aren’t south-facing.  Of course I don’t know the wind patterns in your area – whether predictable, etc.  (2) Refrigerator: Fred Young mentioned a presentation on refrigeration, solar power, etc. at the May/June 2019 Rendezvous.  The presenter was excellent – Woody Wentworth. His business is Ice Boat Marine, and focuses on refrigeration and electrical issues.  The slides from his presentation are posted here on the Panntoa website: https://panntoa.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Solar-Refrig-Nordic-Tug-Rondie-2019v.1.pdf.  (You can also get to his slides by clicking on “EVENTS” at the top of the web page; then choose “2019 Panntoa Rendezvous,” then “”2019 Rendezvous Presentations”; then scroll down to the “Solar & Refrigeration” presentation.)  Like any presenter, he could share only a small fraction of all he knows in the limited time budget for his presentation, and slides only capture of fraction of what he covered.  Even so, you’ll probably learn something from his slides; the refrigeration stuff is about 3/4 of the way through the slides, and there’s a telling chart earlier in the slides showing typical electrical power usage – the refrigerator is the biggest amp-guzzler by far for most boats. If you connect with him, he can likely help you in a useful direction based on your specifics.  I think he operates Ice Boat Marine out of Anacortes; another outfit that has an excellent reputation for refrigeration (and other) boat systems is Sure Marine, in Ballard (Seattle).

Participant

Mike, thanks for the link and the info. I will check them out.

Where we are moored, the Columbia runs south to north and nearly all the weather comes from the north. Our spot is also north south orientation so the back is due north. Even with a canopy over the cockpit rain and wind come in the rear facing windows. Although, as Tom suggested slightly opening them might be a solution verses opening a large amount.

Tim

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.