Visibility

Front Page Forums PaNNTOA Forum Visibility

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    Participant

I’m in the research mode for a NT 37.
    One question I have is how is the view astern from the pilot house?  Is there any visibility of the wake?  Is there any way to keep an eye on what’s happening behind the boat?

I’ve never owned a PH before

Gary White
    Participant

Hey there Ken!

I have a 2004 37’  Nordic Tug.  The visibility aft is primarily through two smaller windows at the top aft end of the pilot house. These do not give you visibility of the immediate wake behind you but you do have visibility further back. In addition the side windows give you the ability to look at your wake. Several notes from my experience; I tow a small fishing boat a lot of the time when we cruise so it’s important for me to keep an eye it. I have not found it difficult to watch it through those windows I referred to. It rides about 100’ from the boat so it allows me to watch its movements. I also have a dinghy on the upper deck so I had higher chocks installed so I can see underneath the dinghy without being obstructed. Finally for aft visibility you always have the option of installing a rearward facing camera that can be viewed in the pilot house.

good luck on your tug search and keep us updated when you find one!

Tom Easterbrook
    Participant

Hi Ken,

Good question. Gary has outlined a number of the concerns, and ways around them. Another one that I like to use, is often we cruise with the Pilothouse doors open. I just momentarily stick my head out of the door and easily look back. If I am unsure of say traffic on the port side, (helm is on starboard)  I will ask my wife to look, or take the short walk across and look for myself. Also, being as the Pilothouse and galley/salon are basically an “extension” of each other, there is good visibility aft from the galley which is only down 3 steps. When needed, I cross the Pilothouse rather than go down to the galley, so as to maintain a good view forward. Several owners use the aft facing camera idea, but I have not found it necessary. When docking, the deckhand (me) is in constant communication with the pilot (my wife) using Eartec headsets, so I am her stern and side eyes often giving boat handling advice and /or distances.

I store some items up on the “boat or sun” deck, so my small rear facing Pilothouse windows only offer a partial view aft, and not of the actual wake.

To answer an unasked question, the wake of an NT 37 at idle (say in a marina) is very small, almost nonexistent. At cruising speeds between 6-8 knots it produces a very moderate wake, usually not even too problematic for a kayaker. At 10 knots and up, the wake gets large and could be a problem for small boats nearby. Most owners rarely operate above about 8 knots.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Ken Thompson
    Participant

Thank you for the reply’s. a few years ago we were heading north up the Grenville channel and my wife was over taken by a BC Ferry without seeing it until it was beside her. Luckily she was close to shore and it only surprised her not scared her. Sh didn’t like the wash hitting her astern though.

Ken Thompson
    Participant

Gary, I’m glad to hear about your towing experience. Our family has a 24ft kingfisher that we’ve been wondering if it is towable behind a NT. It’s about 4000lbs, any thoughts?

Gary White
    Participant

I am towing a Grady white 18 foot center console.  It weighs in at about 2200 pounds. At comparable RPMs it slows us down anywhere from a half to one knot depending on conditions. I’m afraid that your kingfisher may be too large for the 37 foot Nordic Tug.
    Also in reply to your visibility question, a simple answer to being snuck up upon from behind by ferries, etc. is to install AIS. It’s great to see those ferries coming around the corner before you can actually see them.

Doug Ford
    Participant

I also have a NT 37. The previous owner installed an aft-facing camera that is sometimes helpful. I have it configured in one of my custom chart plotter views that I use when docking and can easily access it while cruising if needed. Usually more useful to me, however, is radar and AIS. I nearly always run radar and that usually gives me warning of boats approaching from the stern.

If the boat had not come with the camera, I would not add one. It is sometimes helpful, but the other solutions that Gary and Tom posted are probably better than taking up screen time while cruising.

-Doug

Ken Thompson
    Participant

That was another thought I had, the camera that is.
    it’s just hard for me to imagine what a pilot house is like. Looking at one next week, so I’ll have a better idea of what I’m dealing with.
    there aren’t many NT’s or AT’s on the market right now, especially a 2 stateroom one like we’re after.

Doug Ford
    Participant

We have worked with Jeff Gleckler at Gateway Yachts in Anacortes and like him a lot. Also, Seattle Yachts is the new dealer for NT and they have sold several used ones in recent months. I don’t know what they have in inventory now.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.